>> Library Homepage >> All Subjects
>> Health Sciences
Research Guide: General Health Resources
Find Articles (Databases)...
Start at the library's home page (http://library.sccsc.edu).
- Health Reference Center Academic
- Full-text nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources.
- Health Source: Nursing & Academic Edition
- Scholarly full-text journals. Abstracts and indexing for nearly 850 journals. Updated daily.
- CINAHL (EBSCO)
- Full-text for nursing & allied health journals.
- EBSCO Health Databases
- Search ALL 4 of the EBSCO health databases at once! These include Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition, CINAHL, MEDLINE, and Health Source: Consumer Edition.
- Health and Wellness Resource Center and Alternative Health Module (Gale)
- Encyclopedia, dictionary, drug index, magazine articles.
- See ALL Health Science Databases
- Gale Power Search
- Search 12 different databases at once!
- Covers a wide range of subject areas
- Notice the different results links on the left on the search result page: Magazines, Academic Journals, etc. (each link is a different set of results).
- The most recent articles are listed first on the results page - check to make sure your article was published in the last five years!
- Note which database you article comes from - look for "From ______" on the search page (ex - From General One File). You will need this for your citation.
Back to Top
|Advanced emergency care and transportation of the sick and injured 2nd ed.
||RC86.7 .I563 2012
|Emergency care 11th ed.
||RC86.7 .B68 2009
|First responder 8th ed.
||RC86.7 .B47 2009
|EMT-basic review manual for national certification
||RC86.9 .R34 2004
|Drug guide for paramedics
||QV39 C522 2001
|Magico-religious groups and ritualistic activities : a guide for first responders
||BL65 .M2 K35 2008
|First responder's guide to abnormal psychology : applications for police, firefighters, and rescue personnel
||RC480.6 .D67 2007
|Mosby's Medical Dictionary
||Reference or Reserves
||ask at desk
|Handbook of First Aid and Emergency Care
||RC86.8 .A426 2009
|Professional Guide to Signs and Symptoms 6th Edition
||RC69 .P77 2011
|The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
||RC41 .G35 2006 5 vols.
|Encyclopedia of Public Health
||RA 423 .E53 2002 4 vols.
|Atlas of Allergic Diseases
||RC 585. A87 2002
- Find materials that are in the physical library.
- Primarily good for finding books.
- Books are usually about broader topics than articles, so you may need to broaden your search terms (ex- instead of "texting" perhaps search for "cell phone use").
- Books are not going to be as up-to-date as articles because they take longer to publish.
- See which library the book is located in, and what section.
- Be sure to write down the book's call number!
- Search the full-text (every word on every page) of over 120,000 books - completely electronic
- E-Book Hint:: On the search page, check the box "Also search within the full text of the articles" to search within the text of the book to get more results.
- Note you can only print 10 pages at a time - only print out the important pages
- For citation information: click on "Detailed Record" in the left sidebar when viewing an e-book. You will need this information later on!
Back to Top
MEDLINEplus: Easy-to-understand resource on various diseases and health topics for the public. Includes information from MEDLINE, links to self-help groups, health organizations, medical dictionaries, and clinical trials, http://medlineplus.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/.
National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians: http://www.naemt.org.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: http://www.ems.gov.
National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians: http://www.nremt.org
Back to Top
Ask-a-Librarian: Can't come to the library? Email us using the form on our homepage (http://library.sccsc.edu) and we'll get back to you a.s.a.p.
Normal Reference Desk Hours: Mon-Thurs 7:30am - 9pm, Fri 7:30am - 1:30pm, Sat 9am - 1pm
Reference Desk Phone Number: Main-Spartanburg Campus (864) 592-4654, Cherokee Campus (864) 206-2656, Tyger River Campus (864) 592-6220
Back to Top