>> Library Homepage >> All Subjects
Research Guide: General Biology Resources
Find Articles (Databases)...
Start at the library's home page (http://library.sccsc.edu).
Off Campus Access: username is
your Web ID (ex: absmith), and the password is your portal password.
EBSCO Science List
- Search 3 databases at once! Science Reference Center, GreenFile, and
Applied Science & Technology Full Text.
- Contains reports explaining important developments in biology, chemistry, the
environment, space, physics, and technology. Updated weekly and containing
thousands of links to a 15-year back-file. Facts on File database.
Gale Science in Context
- Articles from over 200 magazines and academic journals and links to quality
- Contains articles from reference books, academic journals, newspapers, and magazines, as well as statistics on
- Encyclopedia of Global Warming [online]
- Available from Salem Science.
- Academic Search Premier
- Search many different topics - covers a wide range of subject areas.
- Be sure to check the "Full-Text" box before you search.
- Gale Power Search
- Search 12 different databases at once!
- A good place to search for almost any topic - covers a wide range of subject areas.
- Notice the different results links on the left on the search result page: Magazines, Academic Journals, etc. (each link is a different set of results)
- Note which database you article comes from - look for "From ______" on the search page (ex - From General One File).
[Back to Top]
|Encyclopedia of evolution
||QH360.2 E54 2002 (2 vols)
|Manual of clinical microbiology
||QR46. M425 2011 (2 vols)
|Encyclopedia of global warming
||QC 981.8. G56 D88 2010 (2 vols)
|History and philosophy of biology
||QH331 .K727 2015
|Evolution : the whole story
||QH367 .E96 2015
| Molecular biology of the cell
||QH581.2 M64 2008
|The cell : a visual tour of the building block of life
||QH582.4 .C425 2015
|Life's engines : how microbes made Earth habitable
||QR13 .F35 2015
Example Subject Headings: invasive plants, biological invasions, introduced species, invasion ecology
Call Number Range
- SB 599 - 990.5 (Pests and Disease)
- QH 301 - 705.5 (General Biology)
- Library Catalog
- Find materials that are in the physical library.
- Primarily good for finding books.
- Books are usually about broader topics than articles, so you may need to broaden your search terms (ex- instead of "texting" perhaps search for "cell phone use").
- Books are not going to be as up-to-date as articles because they take longer to publish.
- See which library the book is located in, and what section.
- Be sure to write down the book's call number!
- eBook Collection (EBSCO)
- Search the full-text (every word on every page) of over 120,000 books - completely electronic
- E-Book Hint:: On the search page, check the box "Also search within the full text of the articles" to search within the text of the book to get more results.
- Note you can only print 10 pages at a time - only print out the important pages
- For citation information: click on "Detailed Record" in the left sidebar when viewing an e-book. You will need this information later on!
- Ebook Central (Proquest)
- Search entire books available online.
- Find More Books...
[Back to Top]
ActionBioscience.org: a non-commercial, educational web site created to promote bioscience literacy. This web site provides peer reviewed articles by scientists, science educators, and science students on issues related to six bioscience content areas: environment, biodiversity, genomics, biotechnology, evolution, and science policy, http://www.actionbioscience.org/.
Understanding Evolution: This site is a collaborative project of the University of California Museum of Paleontology and the National Center for Science Education. Understanding Evolution is a non-commercial, education website, teaching the science and history of evolutionary biology. This site is here to help you understand what evolution is, how it works, how it factors into your life, how research in evolutionary biology is performed, and how ideas in this area have changed over time. (looks up to date; has a resource library, monthly news stories, etc.), http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/home.php.
American Veterinary Medical Association: https://www.avma.org/Pages/home.aspx
World Veterinary Association: http://www.worldvet.org/about.php
[Back to Top]
Find Citation Help...
Our MLA Guide and APA Guide have more help on citations.
[Back to Top]
Ask-a-Librarian: Can't come to the library? Email us! And we'll get back to you a.s.a.p.
Library Hours: Click to view our regular library hours
Contact Us: Need to speak with a librarian? Call us!
Back to Top